Monday, July 25, 2011

Rocky Road Ice Cream

I've made this for two family barbecues this month. Dan has requested I use the recipe to make just plain chocolate ice cream, it is very rich and creamy. If you make it with the add-ins, use fresh marshmallows! I've made it once with pecans and once with almonds, I think I preferred the pecans.

Rocky Road Ice Cream
from the OurBestBites cookbook

2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1 cup mini marshmallows

1. Gently whisk cream, milk, sugars, vanilla, and cocoa powder by hand for about 2 minutes to incorporate the cocoa powder and dissolve the sugars.
2. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
3. When the ice cream has finished churning, fold in the pecans and marshmallows by hand and transfer to a freezer container. Freeze for 1-2 hours or until desired consistency is reached.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I have been dying to try this. Now I'm really going to have to. Hopefully sometime soon. And by fresh marshmallows do you mean like homemade ones or just ones from the store that aren't stale?

    ReplyDelete