Dan was just about as excited as I was when I got the machine. He's already sewed on some scout badges, fixed a ripped seam in Alta's blanket, and darned his sock. And he keeps asking me to buy black thread so he can hem his pants. What a husband!
Monday, May 10, 2010
New project and new hobby!
I have pretty limited experience when it comes to sewing, but moving into a house and having a kid has made me want to learn more. Last month I decided it was time to get a sewing machine and Lorna offered to send me her old one. Which spurred another project. Here's my craigslist-find sewing table:
It was wobbly, scratched up, but overall in good condition. A little sanding and spray painting and voila:
I love it, I think it turned out so cute! And when I need a little more work space:
AND imagine my surprise when I opened the box from Lorna expecting to find her old sewing machine and found this instead! Thank you, thank you, thank you, we Brower girls are so lucky to have such a great mother-in-law/mom!
Still figuring out what to do about the gaping hole where the original sewing machine was stored...
Dan was just about as excited as I was when I got the machine. He's already sewed on some scout badges, fixed a ripped seam in Alta's blanket, and darned his sock. And he keeps asking me to buy black thread so he can hem his pants. What a husband!
Dan was just about as excited as I was when I got the machine. He's already sewed on some scout badges, fixed a ripped seam in Alta's blanket, and darned his sock. And he keeps asking me to buy black thread so he can hem his pants. What a husband!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If you ever feel an overwhelming urge to try and teach someone how to sew, let me know. It's on my list of things to figure out some day in the very distant future. Good work on restoring the table-- it looks beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou don't know how proud I am. I think I feel like Mark when he gets all of you outfitted with ski gear. I am so excited that you and Daniel are enjoying your new toy. The table looks great and Alta is already learning to sew!
ReplyDeleteThe table is DARLING!!! Good old spray paint, works like a charm!! I spray painted Lincoln's changing table and it look fantastic in my opinion. Love the turquoise, I would love to have a turquoise hutch or something, so FUN!
ReplyDeleteYour mother's day post cracked me up:)
Miss you guys. When will you be back in Utah?
What a cute table! I have a sewing machine my got me for Christmas a few year ago. I have yet to put it to really good use. You've inspired me. :)
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome Dan is using it! Tyler won't iron let alone sew. Good for him!
cute table!! yeay for being a brower girl!
ReplyDeleteGood job Shalane, I love the color too. Can Dan put a shelf in that hole so that your machine sits in it? You could then have the sewing surface of the machine at the same level as the table. I love that Dan is sewing too! Uncle Karl used to sew and we thought that was awesome.
ReplyDelete