Monday, April 8, 2013

Panama - day 6

On Sunday morning, Dan and I went on another walk through the island and then came back and sat on the roof to enjoy the view.


We ate breakfast and then decided to try snorkeling this time. Kevin and Malorie stayed on the beach while Dan and I went out. The visibility was a little better, and I wore two wetsuits this time so I was a little more comfortable in the water.

I also discovered that if Dan held my hand the whole time, I didn't panic as much. If you can't tell, I am really uncomfortable in the water! We saw more fish this time, including a couple big schools that swam all around us. I can see the appeal of snorkeling, especially in warm clear water.

Dan and Kevin went out spearfishing with Eric again. They went to the same island but Malorie and I opted to stay on Contadora. We found a really nice beach and spent the afternoon there.

When we finally went to the main beach to find the boys, they were running around looking for us because they needed our cameras. Why? To take a picture of this:

That's Eric getting 12 stitches. On the side of the beach. By half naked Turkish doctor guy and thumbs-up helper in the back.

While they were out on the island, he had caught a gigantic grouper that had a big fishing hook stuck in it's mouth, and when he was trying to stab it in the head to kill it the grouper knocked him in the chin and the hook caught.  Meaning he had a hook stuck in his chin with a 60 pound fish thrashing on the other end. No one was around to help him so he counted, "un, deux, trois" and ripped it out of his chin. Gross. And then he went and caught two more fish. No wonder Dan and Kevin were so in love with him.

This is Dan holding up the big grouper (Eric was a little too out of it to hold it):




Eric sold it to our boat driver, who then fileted it right there on the beach and sold it to someone else for a profit.

And Dan holding up a small (relatively!) grouper. He caught one about this size but in his oxygen-deprived state he let it go before he realized what it was.

We met Eric at the restaurant for one last fresh fish dinner. We had grouper this night and it was once again amazing.

1 comment:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed these posts and am living through you and your ability to go on vacation. It sounds like it's a good thing you met Eric to make the trip more memorable.

    ReplyDelete