Monday, August 29, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

We are big breakfast people around here, so I'm always on the lookout for good, semi-healthy breakfast recipes that don't involve cold cereal and milk. Enter this Baked Oatmeal:

It was a hit.
I adapted the recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I already decreased the brown sugar but you could still do less. Next time I'm going to do all applesauce and no oil, I don't think it will make a difference. This last time I made it I added frozen berries before baking, but it's also very good plain with a little milk and fresh fruit in your bowl. Really, the possibilities are endless.
It made a perfect amount for us, but you can double it and bake it in a 9x13 pan.

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups oats, either quick or old-fashioned
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. applesauce
1 c. milk
2 eggs
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 T. baking powder
1 t. salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 8x8-inch baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with milk and/or fresh fruit.

7 comments:

  1. yum! i have to try it thanks for sharing!! We need to get together again btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the cutest faces that Ellie is making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. that is one of our favorites too. We just had it this morning with raspberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I am going to try this tomorrow. Thanks so much for coming to visit today! It was so fun to see you and Alta and Ellie are too dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very tasty. Cora called it 'cake'. We had a bit of left-overs and I think I like it even better after it cools--I might start making it the night before...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shalane, I finally made this yesterday so I am leaving another comment. It was so good! We topped it with fresh peaches and it seriously tasted like cobbler to me. I loved it. I only did 2 T oil and the rest apple sauce and only 1/3 cup brown sugar, and it was great. Of course I used almond milk instead of the milk too so I don't know how that changed it, but I really liked it.

    We just heated it up in the microwave today and ate it again, it was great. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete