On the drive home from Philadelphia, we were planning on stopping at Fort McHenry in Baltimore. The weather didn't cooperate though and was cold and rainy so we decided to go to the Baltimore Aquarium instead, something I've wanted to do for a while. They had some pretty impressive exhibits, we all really enjoyed it.
Alta was really funny about what she did and didn't like. She loved the colorful tropical fish and would get right up to the tank, but with some of the scarier looking fish she would make me hold her and yell at me if I stepped too close to the tank. She especially didn't like the snakes, I tried to point them out to her and she would turn her head and say, "I don't want to look, I don't want to look!".
Here's Alta and me watching the stingrays. I think she thought they were birds for a while, she said something to Dan about the birds flying on the sand.

They had a really big exhibit with lots of sharks, this one was our favorite:

They had two different aviaries as well. When we walked in this one, I pointed out a bird in a tree to Alta and she got really excited and said, "That's my favorite purple bird!" She said the same thing about a pink fish. I knew anything pink or purple was her "favorite", and apparently it applies to animals as well. (In the picture she was trying to point out her favorite bird to Dan)

My favorite Alta quote of the day though was when we were in the other aviary. There were a lot of tropical birds and quite a few of them were squawking. Alta was acting really nervous, she wouldn't let me set her down and kept asking to leave. When I asked her what was wrong she said, "I don't like those birds tweeting at me!".
Last exhibit of the day, the jellyfish (with crappy pictures). These are the same kind as the one that stung me in the Chesapeake a few years ago. Ouch.

Jellyfish are some of the craziest animals! Ellie was mesmerized:

It was a fun weekend trip!
I love that she thought the rays were birds flying on the sand, and I know Alta is a Brower because she is completely and naturally terrified of snakes.
ReplyDeleteHumans must be born with an innate fear of snakes. Sounds like a great trip.
ReplyDeleteI love her curly hair, wish I could see you guys!
ReplyDeleteThe aquarium is one of our favorite places to go.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had fun in Philly!