Tuesday, August 20, 2013

SF trip - Day 1

Sometime in June when we were making our summer list of things to do, I randomly decided that we needed to go to San Francisco. Natalie and Jeremy are living in Palo Alto and our kids are at a relatively easy age for traveling (relatively...) so we decided to do it!

I'm not sure why our day of driving is getting a post of it's own, but it is. My posts for the other days are going to be way too long as it is!

We left early Thursday morning and took a pit stop at the salt flats. We probably spent less than 10 minutes on the flats, but the girls loved it. I'd never even seen the salt flats so I loved the whole drive past them and stopping and walking around.

The next place of interest was Truckee and Lake Tahoe/Tahoe National Forest (which is hours and hours from the salt flats!). The plan was to do a short hike by Lake Tahoe to stretch our legs, but we didn't look at the map very well and realized it would've added 3 hours to our day. Definitely not what we wanted to do. I found a short hike right off the freeway in the Tahoe National Forest (which is a beautiful drive by the way) so we tried that, but everyone was tired and cranky and we made it about 100 yards before we turned around. The girls wouldn't even let me take their picture next to the beautiful trees!

We decided to just push on through and make it to Palo Alto. The girls were great in the car except for the ridiculous amount of bathroom breaks we had to take.

We were not far from Natalie and Jeremy by the time we realized we all really needed to eat dinner, and Dan and I were so sick of disgusting road food that we thought a little detour to Wahoo's was definitely worth it. I've always thought their food was good, but after a day in the car it was amazing! Just what I needed.

As you can tell, the 14+ hours in the car had taken it's toll by then!

We made it to Palo Alto and, after a long struggle, got the girls to sleep so we could be ready for our big day of sight-seeing on Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cool picture at the Salt Flats! And I love their goofy faces. I feel like doing the same thing when I'm in the car for too long. ;)

    ReplyDelete