Thursday, June 13, 2013

Escalante 2013

 Backpacking through Coyote Gulch is almost a yearly tradition for some of our friends. I went with Dan for the first time in 2006 and then again before me moved to Virginia in 2007. And this year was the first time I've been backpacking since then!

I also didn't bring a camera, so thanks to everyone for letting me use your pictures.

The whole gang: The Fordhams, Currits, Browers, Pughs, and Webbs
 Hiking in, with me in the very back as usual!
 View of the gulch. This is where we lower our packs with a rope and go through the crack in the wall.
 Down the big sand hill. Just fine on the way there, not so fun on the way back up a few days later!
 Every year I've gone we get our favorite camp spot under this big ledge.
One of my favorite parts about backpacking with these guys is they seriously know how to do camping food. We are willing to pack in whatever extra weight it takes to have good food! The kitchen setup:
We woke up the next morning and got ready for our day hike. We decided to head toward Jacob Hamblin Arch (about 5 miles away), not sure whether we'd go the whole way.

We did some exploring on the way. See the arch on the right?

Dan somehow climbed up there.
 I didn't see him coming back down the other side, but from what I heard it sounds like he almost died. Like slipping and catching himself with one hand. Crazy boy.

We were surrounded by gorgeous scenery everywhere. I love it down there.
We took a lunch break at Coyote Natural Bridge. The girls: (the pughs had turned around by this point)
 And we ended up making it all the way to Jacob Hamblin Arch:

The next morning, Dan and I and the Pughs decided we were going to head home a day early (partly because I didn't want to miss Ellie's birthday the next day!). We loaded up our packs and hiked them partway up the trail, then ditched them and joined the rest of the group for part of the day hike.

Stopping at a swimming hole to cool off:
 This part of the hike made me a little nervous! It is pretty slanted and sandy, which made it very slippery in my little water shoes. My totally dead knees did not help!
 Dan stood down the slope from me so he could catch me from falling off the side into the giant boulder (you can see us on the left). It really wasn't that bad, but my fear of heights kicked in for sure.
 We made it to the Escalante River where we spent an hour playing and swimming.
 All the girls at Steven's Arch:

After that, those of us leaving turned around to pick up our packs and hike the rest of the way back to the cars. It was a fun trip with good friends and hopefully we will do it again another year!

1 comment:

  1. This trip looks so cool! I can't get over sleeping under that huge ledge! And the bridges and arches! So fun to see pics of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete