The youth in our ward hike Old Rag every year and I went along as a leader last weekend. There are three reasons why I was more than happy to help out: 1) I love hiking, 2) it was a beautiful hike, and 3) I got a 10 hour break from the girls. Win, win. win.
Old Rag is a mountain in the Shenandoahs. The summit is 3,291 ft and the 3 mile hike to the top gains 2500 ft in elevation. That's not too shabby for Virginia standards, and it's the most popular hike in the Shenandoahs.
The first two miles involves a lot of switchbacks. After that the trail comes out of the trees to some very pretty views:

We made it to the summit!It was about 5 miles to complete the loop back to the car, and it got just a bit tedious. But so worth it! I'm glad I got to go, it is definitely not a kid-friendly hike so this was really the only chance I had. It made me that much more excited to live where hiking is so accessible!
nice! I'm so glad you get to go hiking every now and then. It looks beautiful there.
ReplyDeleteUmmm. You still look like one of the youth!
ReplyDelete