Lorna flew in all the way from Utah to play with Alta while we were gone (thank you, thank you, thank you!). She came a day before Dan and I left so Alta could warm up to her. It only took Alta about 30 minutes to decided she really liked Grandma (also known as "uh-mah").
So we said goodbye to Alta and flew down to this:
On one of the days we ventured out to Tulum where there are some Mayan ruins. Taking a taxi or tour bus costs about $35 (one way) so we decided to try the way Dan's brother recommended and used the local bus system. Actually, calling that is a bit generous. There are vans that take people up and down the main highway and if you want to get on, you stand by the side of the road and get picked up. Tulum is kind of far away so I thought it might take a while to get there, but when the speed limit is 80 km/h and the van is going 150, it takes no time at all. We would speed past all the other cars and then when the driver would see someone standing by the road, he'd slam on the brakes and pull over to pick them up. It was crazy. But it also cost us about $3.
Tulum was fun to see, and very beautiful:
All in all, a very nice relaxing trip. Now we are back in cloudy Virginia, but it's so good to be back with the little Alta girl again!
I loved Tulum! Rob and I went last year, but could only spend a short (very short) time there. I want to go back!! Did you see the LDS tour guides? We didn't have time for a tour, but one of the LDS guides rode back with us to the entrance and we learned so many interesting things (from an LDS perspective).
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a great trip!!
You really should have considered bringing me instead of Dan...I am your favorite after all...
ReplyDeleteLooks like SO MUCH FUN!! I miss you! Call me!!
I had no idea you guys were doing this! How fun! I am glad you were able to get away and do something really fun.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a lot of fun! Yay for Mexico!!
ReplyDeleteAh! So fun! I'm glad it was so amazing. Glad you're back too, though. :)
ReplyDeleteWow you guys, that looked like a lot of fun! And going somewhere for a week by yourselves... that just doesn't happen! Good work Lorna. Well, it is fun seeing how big Alta is getting. We'd love to get together with everyone if you guys are coming out anytime soon. Let us know.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like such a blast! I can't imagine leaving Sophie for more than a few hours (I'm still nursing, so we're pretty attached...), but I look forward to the day when Bry and I can go on a trip-just the two of us.
ReplyDeleteHey Shalane, can you ask Shar to invite me to her blog? I would love to see it. My email is chelseaswebb@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteThanks! Can't wait to see you for Christmas!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete