Saturday, January 7, 2017

July 2016 (part 1)

On July 1st we met up with Anna, Ruby and Ellie at the zoo. They hadn't been for a long time and I get to bring a guest on my pass so it worked out perfectly. The summer crowds were definitely out but we still got to see just about everything, watch the bird show, and ride the carousel.

After we drove home the girls wanted to keep playing so Anna invited Alta and Ellie to play while Olive took a nap.

That Sunday afternoon we went on a drive, one of our favorite Sunday things to do. We went to the top of Guardsman Pass with the intent of taking the short trail down to Bloods Lake like we'd done in the past. But the second we opened the car doors we were bombarded by mosquitos. I have never seen so many mosquitos - we lasted about 30 seconds hiking the trail before we were all dying to get back in the car. Olive kept telling us, "'squitos are in my ears!"
 We drove a little further towards Park City (while trying to kill all the mosquitos that had gotten in our car) and then turned around and headed home. Despite the failed plan, the drive itself was green and gorgeous.

The next day was the 4th of July. The girls spent a lot of the day playing with our neighbor Giselle. She's an animal-lover and wanted to see with S'more the bunny, who we were taking care for the Roberts. While they were playing in the backyard they found two baby robins that must have fallen out of their nest. The mother robin kept hovering around but the babies couldn't fly well enough to follow her.

Alta, Ellie, Giselle and I all got gloves on (and later felt comfortable enough to ditch the gloves) and tried to get the birds over the fence so hopefully they could get back to the tree. We managed to help one bird but the other just couldn't fly high enough. The girls spent hours in the backyard watching and then holding the bird (that whole thing about if you touch a baby bird it's mother won't take it back is a myth...).

(I don't know what ever happened to that second bird. The next day it was gone and we never found it's body so I'm hoping it somehow made it back to it's home!)

That afternoon we went to the Brower's for a BBQ. Dan taped roman candles and then parachute guy fireworks to his plane and shot them off in the sky, which the girls loved.
 That night we went back to our house to watch fireworks. We knew our neighbors (Giselle's family) always bought decent fireworks, but this year they were actually legal in our neighborhood so they went all out. I mean probably hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of huge Wyoming fireworks; it took them well over an hour to shoot them all off. Olive slept through it but the girls stayed up and watched on the lawn with us. Ellie was pretty nervous for a while but stayed outside the whole time - a first for her! Almost everyone on the street came out to watch and I'm hoping it becomes a tradition.

Some of the aftermath:
I didn't document a lot of what we did the rest of the month but between notes in my calendar and pictures here and there I sort of remember. The day after the 4th the girls started their week of swimming lessons with Linda, no pictures. We also stayed busy playing at home, at Cowabunga bay, and with friends for the rest of the week. Olive came to love eating my basil plant:
 The girls played with S'mores every day until we gave him back at the end of the week:
 We hiked the Albion Meadows trail with Anna, Ruby and Ellie:
That weekend was Alta's baptism and Bekah got to Utah!

Sunday the 10th, taking a picture of Olive's new way of eating. Her food doesn't belong on her plate. Ever. She wasn't (and still isn't) a great eater.
 On Monday Ellie went to her first day of summer gymnastics camp at Jolley's. She went every morning for an hour while Alta and Olive and I found ways to spend the time. Like getting donuts at Daylight, yum!
 After the first week ended Ellie liked it enough to sign up for the second week as well. I was impressed with her; going every day for an hour was seriously hard work!

But back to that Monday that Ellie started her camp, we also took Bekah and the boys to hike the Draper suspension bridge. Wyatt and Sawyer didn't want to smile for the picture but they all had fun!
 I can't believe I didn't take any pictures, but on Tuesday I hosted a baby shower for my friend and neighbor Paige. She was pregnant with her first and I had offered early on to help throw her a shower and I'm so glad I did! Cheryl, Anna, and Amy and a few others all helped plan, decorate, and bring food and I think it turned out great. Plus it was a good excuse for me to clean up and put some finishing touches on our back patio.

It was a good thing I got all that done when I did though - I was just starting to feel the "morning" sickness (never in the morning for me, just all. day. long.) kick in and over the next couple of weeks I spent more and more time on the couch feeling tired and miserable. I also got a horrible cold that lasted weeks, so I was kind of useless for the rest of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment