Friday, October 24, 2014

New England Trip (day 2)

We woke up Saturday morning and drove the last hour to Boston. We parked at a metro station (or the "T", it will always be the metro to me) and took the train down to Boston Commons:

Where there was a crazy guy feeding squirrels (I took this picture for Ellie):

We walked the 2 1/2 mile Freedom Trail that goes through all the major historical sites in Boston. It was really interesting and made me wish we had read John Adams or something before we came.

Some of my favorite views:
 There were 2 or 3 old graveyards and I loved them. All the tombstones had the skull and wings and were engraved in the late 1600s/1700s.
 More old churches:
 Site of the first school in Boston (this was a hopscotch, I wish the girls had been with me!)
 The Old Corner Bookstore is the oldest commercial building in Boston...and is now a Chipotle:
 There were narrow back alleys in between the tall buildings:
 We stopped for lunch near Fanueil Hall and got a lobster roll and New England clam chowder:
 Dan made me take his picture in front of the NFL truck they had parked and blaring loud music (the patriots were playing the next day)
 It was cloudy and drizzling the whole day, this was a pretty view of the skyline:
 The dark house is Paul Revere's home:
 Across the street from the Revere house in Little Italy is Mike's Pastry, where Jamie said we had to stop to get a cannoli. The line was out the door so I knew it had to be good. They had probably 15 different kinds of cannoli, I chose a regular chocolate dipped and a chocolate mousse. The mousse one was good, but the traditional cannoli was incredible.

 Olive is the world's best baby. She loves seeing new places and people and was happy to sit in her stroller and look around and smile at everyone. And then she got tired and fell asleep without a fuss:
Dan and Olive in front of another old church:
 Our last stop was to see the USS Constitution. There was a long line so while I waited in it with Olive, Dan went to check out another battleship that was in the harbor. He asked some stranger to take this picture:
 The Constitution is the world's oldest commissioned warship. It was launched in 1797 and still sails today. It was one of my favorite parts of the day:



 After our tour of the ship we headed to the closest metro station, which was about 15 minutes away and it started pouring. We got to our car soaked and cold and hungry. Good thing I saved my hazelnut loaf from King Arthur Flour. My goodness, this was good:
 On our way out of the city we drove around Fenway Park:
We didn't have a hotel planned for that night, so as we drove we picked a little town on Cape Cod. On the drive down there we passed Plymouth and took the exit just to see what they had. It was dark at this point so all we saw was some sort of old-looking ship on the beach and that's it. But there were a few restaurants right on the beach so we chose one and had fish and chips (very good) and lobster bisque (pure cream, I could hardly eat it). We got back in the car and listened to Olive scream for an hour until we got to our hotel. She was starting to get sick of the car and she was having digestive issues. We had all sorts of fun in the hotel with her and a bottle of infant suppositories...ugh.

But our 3rd day was a fabulous no-plans, explore-Cape-Cod kind of day. Up next!

1 comment:

  1. I love Boston and I've never even been there. And that hazelnut loaf? I need that!

    ReplyDelete